Sensory Impairment Awareness - One Day Training Course
The Sensory Impairment Awareness One Day Training Course has been developed for those working with or supporting people with sensory impairments. It has been successfully delivered as part of conferences and for continued professional development.
Who is the course for?
This course is for individuals working with or supporting people with sensory impairments. It provides an introductory insight into dual sensory impairment and the foundation skills required for communication.
What will the course cover?
The topics covered in the course are:
- How we communicate - the senses
- Planning services and activities
- Approaching a Deafblind person and communication good practise
- Objects of reference, Braille, Moon and much more
- Types of sensory impairment
- Types and definitions of dual sensory impairment (DSI)
- Facts and statistics of DSI
- Acquired and congenital Deafblindness
- Methods and techniques of communication - clear speech and sign languages
- Opportunity to learn deaf blind block and deaf blind manual communication systems
- Effects and implications of DSI to the individual - life, mobility, communication, relationships, life experience and learning
- Identification and assessment of DSI people
- Identifying changed in residual sight and hearing
- Teaching aids and adaptations that may support good practice
- The psychological and emotional impact that DSI can have on a person
- Supportive communication environments
To find out more or register then please either see our Contact Page or call 01246 235 208